Sherwood Family Law   |   16103 SW 1st St, Sherwood, OR 97140   |   Tel. (503) 655-7199

Child Custody and Parenting Time

Preparing for a Custody Case

You are likely a parent who disagrees with the other parent regarding some of the following issues:

  1. Who the primary caretaker of your children should be.
  2. How time with your children should be shared.
  3. The amount of child support that should be paid or received.
  4. Who should pay for your children's uninsured medical expenses.
  5. How your children should be disciplined.
  6. Whether your children are safe with the other parent.

...and the list goes on.

Right now you need to determine how to resolve these disputes in a way that is best for your children.

What is the process to start a custody determination?

A custody matter may come before the court in a number of different ways.

  1. The parties may request an award of custody during a divorce.
  2. The parties may be unmarried and petition the court for custody.
  3. The paternity of a child may be in dispute and custody is requested through a paternity petition.

After a petition is filed and served on the other party, the served party will have an opportunity to respond. After a response is filed, mediation and parenting classes are typically required. If the parents can agree on the majority of issues, a stipulated judgment and parenting plan is drafted and proposed to the court. If the parents disagree on the majority of issues, the parents go to trial.

Our Commitment to Parents

Sherwood Family law Helps Parents Stay Parents

We regularly work with clients who also live in Newberg, Tigard, McMinnville, Tualatin, Oregon City, Wilsonville, and other surrounding communities.

We appear at the courthouses in Washington County, Clackamas County, Multnomah County, and Yamhill County. We can appear in other counties by request.

Do I Need a Custody Lawyer?

Every parenting situation is different, and the laws regarding these issues can be complex and overwhelming. This is why having an attorney advise you on how to proceed is important. You want to make sure the court makes a custody determination that is in the best interest of your children.

Sherwood Family Law   |   16103 SW 1st St, Sherwood, OR 97140   |   Tel. (503) 655-7199 | Privacy Policy | Sitemap